Health Sciences Library Advisory Committee
The Bracken Library Advisory Committee is a user's committee with the primary purpose of advising the Head, Bracken Health Sciences Library on matters relating to user activities. The Committee will function according to the following criteria.
Terms of Reference
- To serve as a users’ committee with the primary purpose of informing the Head, Bracken Health Sciences Library, of the concerns and needs of the health and life sciences user communities.
- To advise on changes in the range of user services offered by the Bracken Library; to ensure that, where appropriate, policy issues are brought to the attention of Faculty Board for action.
- To gather information and submissions as necessary from the Bracken Health Sciences Library users in support of reports and proposals concerning Bracken Health Sciences Library.
- To maintain awareness of policies and practices of the Queen’s University library system as they pertain to the Bracken Health Sciences Library and its users.
- To contribute to effective communication with the constituencies served primarily by the Bracken Health Sciences Library.
- To maintain liaison with the Senate Library Committee.
- To report to Faculty Board as required, but at least annually.
The Bracken Health Sciences Library Advisory Committee shall include:
Five Faculty of Health Sciences faculty members: one clinician and one basic scientist from the School of Medicine, one faculty member from the School of Nursing, one faculty member from the School of Rehabilitation therapy, one faculty member from the Faculty of Arts and Science; four students, with one from each of the following – Medicine, Nursing, Rehabilitation therapy, Life Sciences; one graduate student from the Faculty of Health Sciences; one member of the housestaff. Faculty representatives shall serve for a two year term and shall be eligible for re-election; the housestaff and student representatives shall serve for a one year term and shall be eligible for re-election.
Ex-officio members shall be: Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences; University Librarian or delegate; Head, Bracken Health Sciences Library; Collections and Assessment Librarian, The Director of the Office of Health Sciences Education.
The chairperson shall be appointed by the Dean, Faculty of Health Sciences, from the membership. Secretarial support for this Committee will be provided by Bracken Health Sciences Library.
Meetings and Communications
The Chair of the Committee shall call the meetings, as required, but no less than 3 times per year.
- Ex-officio membership revised February 7, 2013 Faculty Board
- Membership revised 1 Feb, 2007 Faculty Board (delete Health Informatics Coordinator and delete Kingston Area Health Libraries Association)
- Terms of Reference revised February 2004 at Faculty Board
- Terms of Reference - January 1993; membership addition made March 3/94 through Faculty Board