Greening The Library
In the spirit of sustainability and environmental consciousness, Queen's University Library has been making an effort to reduce our impact on the natural environment while maintaining a welcoming and comfortable environment your Library.
Our green initiatives include:
- 100% post-consumer recycled paper is provided at printer and copying stations.
- Computer monitors time out to blank screens after 20 minutes of inactivity, and shut down after a further 20 minutes.
- Workstations are shut down overnight (except for 24/7 opening periods).
- Printers offer double-sided printing.
- Printer toner cartridges are recycled.
- Whenever possible, old computer hardware is donated for re-use and/or re-purpose.
- Climate controls are set to conserve energy while maintaining an appropriate environment for people and collections.
You can support green initiatives by:
- Opt for snacks and beverages with minimal packaging. Reusable travel mugs and water bottles not only reduce the environmental impact of packaging production, but also cut down on landfill waste. They also help to keep the library tidy.
- Ensure garbage and recyclables are sorted and disposed of appropriately. Recycle bins cluttered with non-recyclable trash are emptied into garbage bags, sending recyclable materials to the landfill. If you are not sure that something is recyclable you can download the Waste Watcher's Guide to Recycling & Waste Disposal or contact the Sustainability Office for any items that aren't listed.
- Use double-sided printing. Alternatively, use the blank side of single-sided print-outs for notes or scrap.
- Carry library books with knapsacks and tote bags, or reuse clean shopping bags.
- Spread the word! Encourage your friends to do their part to help maintain a cleaner and greener Library.
For more information about green practices and what you can do to reduce, reuse and recycle on campus, please see the Sustainability Office website.