Welcome! This is a selective guide to help you do research in Geography.
Journal articles are not listed in QCAT. Use an index to find magazine and journal articles. Articles are important in your research as they contain the most-up-to-date research in a given field and often focus on a particular aspect of a topic. There are different types of articles: scholarly, popular or trade.
Tip: Remember to search journal title and not article title in QCAT
Publication coverage: 1980 - present
- Covers global literature in earth science, ecology,
geography, and marine science.
Publication coverage: Geology of North America: 1693 - present ;
Geology worldwide: 1933 - present
- Indexes articles on geography, particularly as it relates to
Multidisciplinary Social Sciences Indexes
Publication coverage: 1984 - present (updated monthly)
- A multilingual, multidisciplinary index covering geography
and more ...
Publication coverage: 1951- (updated quarterly)
- Social science and interdisciplinary research with international coverage.
Publication coverage: Science Citation Index: 1900 - present ; Social Sciences Citation Index: 1956 - present ; Arts and Humanities: 1975 - present
Access restricted to the Queen's community (50 user limit)
- An index to major journals in the social sciences, including
demography, cultural, economic, historical and human geography,
planning and environmental studies.
Broad Multidisciplinary Indexes
Publication coverage: 1865 - present
- Peer-reviewed journals, conference proceedings, monographs and reports covering a broad spectrum of topics.
- Use the Google search engine to locate articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles published on the "open" web.
Publication coverage: Varies by journal title
- The content in Scholars Portal comprises the most complete multi-disciplinary database of peer reviewed academic literature available anywhere.
Public Health & Geography
Publication coverage: 1981 - present
- Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature. Index to English-language journals in nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, consumer health and other allied health fields.
- A digital archive of full-text, peer-reviewed health and life sciences literature.
- A pre-selected group of databases covering literature published in health & medicine. Each database can be searched separately but they also can be searched as a group, from this starting point.
Other Useful Subject-Oriented Indexes
Publication coverage: Late 19th century - present
Access restricted to the Queen's community (15 user limit)
- Provides indexing in the fields of anthropology, archaeology,
and related fields.
- The Arctic Science and Technology Information System (ASTIS) database covers many aspects of northern Canada, including the earth sciences, the life sciences, engineering and technology, renewable and non-renewable resources, co-management, politics and government, economic and social conditions, land use, indigenous peoples, archaeology, history, art and literature.
Publication coverage: Varies with publication
- Indexes Canadian popular and academic journals as well as
business and special interest journals.
Publication coverage: 2006 - present
- An important index from U.S. and English language
Call number varies | in SL Compact Shelving | (1967-1980)
- Print indexes containing citations to research in physical
& human geography, climatology, geomorphology, and
cartography. Superseded by Geobase.
Publication coverage: 1915 - present
- Covers public and social policy materials, including
journals, books, government publications, pamphlets, and reports
of public and private agencies.
Publication coverage: 1900 - present
- An interdisciplinary index to major journals in the sciences,
including physical geography, planning and resource
Books & E-books
Note: E- books are often collected within "packages". The catalogue record for every individual book title in these packages may not yet be loaded into QCAT. However, for e-books not yet listed in QCAT, you can search directly within the packages.
Sciences and Humanities e-books
| All e-book collections at Queen's
E-Book collections of note include:
Note: The following book collections are freely available on the Web
To find books by a particular author/person, search QCAT by author:
association of american geographers
To find books about a particular author/person, search QCAT by subject heading:
association of american geographers
To find books on a topic, use a keyword search if you do not know the correct subject heading for a topic. Think of the focus (or key) words that describe your topic.
dams and environment?
Select useful titles and look at the full record for subject headings.
water resources development--environmental aspects
Click on the subject heading to do a new search or use words from the subject heading to modify your keyword search.
Examples of subject headings relating to geography:
Cities and towns-Canada
Emigration and immigration
Man-Influences of environment
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias & Handbooks
Dictionaries | Encyclopedias | Handbooks
Provide a broad and authoritative overview and clarification of geographical concepts and subjects, schools of thought, and scholars in the field. Good starting places for discovering workable research topics. Exploit the bibliographies at the end of articles!
Dictionary of Geography. (2009) part of Oxford Reference Online Over 6,400 entries on all aspects of both human and physical geography.
Dictionary of Human Geography.
Also: MAPS & AIR PHOTOS REF GF4.D52 2009 A revision of a classic!
Dictionary of Physical Geography. (2000) REF GB10 D53 2000. Definitions for terms and explanation of key ideas, concepts and issues in physical geography.
Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science
MAPS & AIR PHOTOS REF G70.212 E53 2008
Encyclopedia of Geography (2010 ) part of SAGE Reference Online 2010 Encyclopedia Collection “...offers a reasonably comprehensive and useful summary of the state of the discipline in the early 21st century...”
Encyclopedia of Global Change
ALSO: REF GE149.E47 2002
Encyclopedia of Human Geography
Also: REF GF4 .E54 2006 “…a diverse array of topics to offer a comprehensive and useful summary of the state of the discipline in the early 21st century…”
Encyclopedia of World Geography
REF G133.E48 2002 (paper) A 24-volume set describing physical, economic, demographic, cultural, political, and environmental factors of different countries and regions of the world.
ALSO: REF GE10.E38 2003 A classic environmental reference work.
International Encyclopedia of Human Geography (2009) "... an authoritative and comprehensive source of information on the discipline of human geography and its constituent, and related, subject areas ..."
SAGE Handbook of Geographical Knowledge
ALSO: Stauffer G 70 S24 2011 ) “… a wide range of authors trace the social construction and contestation of geographical ideas through the sites of their production and their relational geographies of engagement.”
21st Century Geography : A Reference Handbook. STAUFFER G123 .A18 2012. 2 vol. About 80 articles highlight the most important topics, issues, questions, and debates in Geography today.
Consult biographical dictionaries to
get brief information about people, dates and events. For more
sources, see Biographical
American Environmental Leaders: from
Colonial Times to the Present
REF GE55.B43 2000 (2 vols)
- Gives brief biographies and bibliography. Arranged as an
- Multi-volume encyclopedic dictionary that contains
biographies of geographers throughout history. Includes lengthy
Biographical Dictionary of
REF G67.L37 1993t
Fifty Key Thinkers on the
REF GE40.R54 2001t
- Fifty essays offer a guide to environmental thinking through
the ages from Buddha to V. Shiva.
Atlases & Gazetteers
The Queen's University Library collection includes atlases, sheet maps, digital maps, air photos and gazetteers. For more information about these resources, please check the Maps and Geospatial Information page. A few suggestions:
Geographical Names of Canada (Canada) Over 350,000 current and historic approved geographical names.
GEOnet Names Server (GNS) (World) Over 5 million names.
The Columbia Gazetteer of the World (World) A database of names, descriptions, and characteristics of over 165,000 places in the world....
Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names (TGN) (World) A structured vocabulary containing more than one million names and other information about places. The emphasis is on places that are important for art and architecture.
Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) (U.S. and territories) Over 2 million physical and cultural geographic features.
Tip: To locate more gazetteers and guides to geographical names, try subject keywords in a QCAT search. Try "Gazetteer" AND "Place-name" or "Geographical names" AND "Place-name" .
The Atlas of Canada / L'Atlas du Canada
Canada Gazetteer Atlas
G1115.C6 1980t Maps & Air Photos
Historical Atlas of Canada - selected contents
--- full content version at G1116.S1H58 1987t Maps & Air Photos
The Times Comprehensive Atlas of the World.
G1021 .T5644 2011 Maps & Air Photos. Library also has numerous earlier editions : 1922, 1955, 1967, 1980, etc.
National Geographic Atlas of the World.
G1021 .N38 2011 Maps & Air Photos. . Library also has numerous earlier editions : 1963, 1975, 1981, 1999, etc.
Tip: To locate more atlases in QCAT try "Atlas" AND "Place-name" as title keywords OR try "Maps" AND "Place-name" as subject keywords.
International Government Information Search
- Country Statistical Yearbooks
University of Wisconsin's research guide to country statistical yearbooks or similar collections for 111 countries worldwide.
- Economist Intelligence Unit
- OECD Economic Surveys
ZZ EC33... (Documents Reference and Compact Shelving)
Full text of OECD books, periodicals, and statistical databases.
- Country Studies / Area Handbooks
US1 DI6... (to 1998; Documents Compact Shelving)
Online via Library of Congress: Country studies (1988-1998); Country profiles (brief; more current)
- International Monetary Fund
Select "Country Reports".
- World Bank. Documents and Reports
Select "Browse by country".
- World Bank. Doing Business
See pull-down menus in the upper right corner or use Get Full Data to create a custom dataset.
- CIAO (Columbia International Affairs Online)
Research in international affairs. Includes maps, country data, and briefs from public policy institutes.
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. Market Reports
Select a region; then a country. Under Services and Resources, select "Market Prospect".
Information includes country factsheets, economic reports, and industry reports.
- Export Development Canada (EDC). Country Information
- CIA World Factbook
- BBC News
On the left sidebar, click on "Country Profiles"; then select a country.
Information includes history, politics, and economic background as well as links to audio and video clips.
Search "Country Studies".
- Use yearbooks for country profiles.
Europa world year book - JN1.E85 (Stauffer Library - Information Desk)
Statesman's year-book - JA51.S7 (Stauffer Library - Information Desk)
- Search QCAT (Library Catalogue) to find books about a country.
Examples (using Keyword search):
"costa rica" and ecology
japan and ("country study" or "area handbook")
Find more statistics sources
- Index to International Statistics (IIS)
US7 CIS I53 (Documents Reference)
Look up your topic or country in the Index volume. Using the item number, go to the Abstract volume to find the title. Then look up the title in QCAT.