Welcome! Here's a selected set of resources to help you start your research in Nursing. If you do not find what you're looking for, please feel free to contact us.
- Over 50 of the top Nursing textbooks and reference books including Medical-Surgical Nursing Care, Delmar's Fundamental and Advanced Nursing Skills and the Current Diagnosis and Treatment series.
- Nearly 400 textbooks, including 93 just for nurses, from AWHONN's Perinatal Nursing to The Nurse's Guide to Clinical Procedures.
- "The Blue Book" is the most consulted book by nurses on the wards. It contains comprehensive information about pharmaceuticals licensed in Canada.
- SAGE Research Methods Online (SRMO) is an award-winning tool designed to help you create research projects and understand the methods behind them.
Evidence Based Resources
Evidence Based Resources
Publication coverage: 1991-
- Provides the full text of the regularly updated systematic reviews of the effects of healthcare, as prepared by The Cochrane Collaboration. Contains both the complete reviews and the protocols.
- Collection of high-quality, independent evidence databases to inform healthcare decision-making at all levels.
- Joanna Briggs Institute produces Evidence-based resources in nursing, midwifery, medicine and allied health.
- TRIP stands for Turning Research Into Practice. It searches a variety of evidence-based resources on the web.
- From the producers of BMJ, Clinical Evidence summarises the current state of knowledge and uncertainty about the prevention and treatment of clinical conditions, based on thorough searches and appraisal of the literature.
Publication coverage: 1981 - present
- CINAHL stands for Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature. It indexes nearly 3000 journals and contains over 1,000,000 records.
Publication coverage: Ovid MEDLINE(R) In-Process & Other Non-Indexed Citations and Ovid MEDLINE(R) 1946 to Present
Print holdings: Index Medicus 1879-2002 at the Bracken Health Sciences Library
- Medline is a comprehensive database of articles in medicine and related fields, including nursing. It indexes over 4600 journals.
Publication coverage: 1806-
- PsycInfo indexes journal articles, book chapters, books, dissertations, and technical reports in the fields of psychology and the psychological aspects of related disciplines such as medicine, psychiatry, nursing, and others.
- In addition to the databases listed above, other specialized databases can be searched from the Ovid interface including GlobalHealth (Public Health and Tropical Medicine), Embase (general medicine and pharmacology), AMED (Allied and Complementary Medicine), Health and Psychosocial Instruments and HealthStar (administration and health policy).
Publication coverage: Recent articles
- Brief indexing of recently-published journal articles on nursing and allied health topics.
In addition to what you see here, you can use the 'limit' option in Medline and CINAHL to include only practice guidelines.
The Registered Nurses Association of Ontario's (RNAO) Nursing Best Practice Guidelines (NBPG) Project.
National Guidelines Clearinghouse
A public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Guideline Advisory Committee
The Guideline Advisory Committee (GAC) is a joint body of the Ontario Medical Association and the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- Anatomy.tv by Primal Pictures Ltd. provides access to 12 interactive 3D anatomical models, a study guide, and a test bank. Each model includes removable layers, movement videos, labels and related text, and quizzes.
CDs, DVDs and Videos available at Queen's
- Bracken Library has many high-quality multimedia resources available for loan. Each of the following links will lead to a list of QCAT records for videos, cd-roms, and books with accompanying multimedia resources.
All of these multimedia resources are stored at the circulation desk at Bracken; to borrow them, take the applicable call numbers to the circulation desk and the staff there will sign them out to you.
Dr. Tomalty's Microbiology 121 Lectures
- This collection of narrated PowerPoint presentations includes topics such as antibiotics (antibacterials), bacterial structure and function, and laboratory diagnosis of infectious diseases.