Urban and Regional Planning
Welcome! This is a selective guide to help you do research in Urban and Regional Planning.
Publication coverage: 1980 - present
- Covers a range of political, social, public policy and urban
planning issues in journals and monographs.
- Covers city and regional planning, environment, economics,
housing internationally. Since 1996, has included CPL
Publication coverage: 1960s-
- National Transportation Library of the Department of Transportation, U.S. provides access to federal, state, local, and association publications and to the IRRD database for additional coverage of international transportation.
- A pre-selected group of 3 databases can be searched simultaneously from this starting point: Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals, IBSS, and PAIS.
Multidisciplinary Social Sciences Indexes
Publication coverage: 1951- (updated quarterly)
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences.
Interdisciplinary coverage includes social policy, demography,
urban and rural studies and more...
Publication coverage: 1900 - present
- Includes demography, cultural, economic, historical and human geography, planning and environmental studies and industrial relations.
Broad Multidisciplinary Indexes
Publication coverage: 1865 - present
- Peer-reviewed journals, conference proceedings, monographs and reports covering a broad spectrum of topics.
- Use the Google search engine to locate articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles published on the "open" web.
Publication coverage: Varies by journal title
- The content in Scholars Portal comprises the most complete multi-disciplinary database of peer reviewed academic literature available anywhere.
Architecture & Design Indexes
Publication coverage: 1850s-
- A database of architectural information and citations to periodical articles and books about buildings in Toronto and the rest of Ontario.
Publication coverage: 1984 - present
For 1907-1984 coverage see: Art Index Retrospective
Print holdings: Library also has older volumes in print: check QCAT for details.
- Coverage includes city planning, design, landscape architecture and architecture.
Publication coverage: 1934-present (plus selective coverage back to 1741) - updated weekly
- Covers all aspects of architecture and design, including history and practice of architecture, landscape architecture, city planning, and historic preservation.
Public Health & Urban Planning
Publication coverage: 1981 - present
- Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature. Index to English-language journals in nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, consumer health and other allied health fields.
- A digital archive of full-text, peer-reviewed health and life sciences literature.
- A pre-selected group of databases covering literature published in health & medicine. Each database can be searched separately but they also can be searched as a group, from this starting point.
Other Useful Subject-Oriented Indexes
Publication coverage: 1954 - present
Access restricted to the Queen's community (6 user limit)
- An essential index for American and Canadian history topics, including government, current affairs, and urban history.
- Covers topics such as business conditions and trends, economics, finance, human resources, marketing, retail location and other business aspects of urban studies.
Publication coverage: 1982 - present
- Indexes Canadian popular and academic journals as well as business and special interest journals.
Publication coverage: 1884 - present (updated weekly)
- Land use, environmental impact, transportation, public policy, mathematical modelling and simulation, economic and social effects. A primary database for engineering. Interdisciplinary and international.
Publication coverage: 1915 - present
- Public Affairs Information Service International
covers political, social, public policy and urban planning
- Demographic and population literature, it presents an annotated bibliography of recently published books, journal articles, working papers, and other materials.
Publication coverage: 1952 - present
- Covers social planning policy and development, public policy, demography, environmental interactions, urban sociology, and community development.
Books & E-books
Note: E- books are often collected within "packages". The catalogue record for every individual book title in these packages may not yet be loaded into QCAT. However, for e-books not yet listed in QCAT, you can search directly within the packages.
Social Sciences and Humanities e-books | All e-book collections at Queen's
E-Book collections of note include:
Note: The following book collections are freely available on the Web
To find books by a particular author/person, search QCAT by author:
To find books about a particular author/person, search QCAT by subject heading:
Catanese, Anthony James
Mumford, Lewis, 1895-
To find books on a topic, use a keyword search if you do not know the correct subject heading for a topic. Think of the focus (or key) words that describe your topic.
Planning and environment
Cities and development
Select useful titles and look at the full record for subject headings. Click on the subject heading to do a new search or use words from the subject heading to modify your keyword search. Some useful Urban Planning subject headings are:
City planning - Canada (or other country)
City planning - History
Regional planning - Canada (or other country)
Regional planning - Law and legislation - Ontario
Cities and towns - United States (or other country)
These are just some examples. It is always a good idea to look at all the subject headings ("Subject(s)") in QCAT in the full record of books that are relevant to your topic. The "Subject(s)" words and phrases are hypertext links to related resources.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Consult dictionaries and
encyclopedias to help you understand the concepts and terminology
used in development studies.
A Dictionary of
(part of Oxford Reference Online)
- Contains thousands of entries on architects, terms, periods,
and styles, this is a highly comprehensive and up-to-date
dictionary covering all periods of Western architectural
Dictionary of Ecology
(part of Oxford Reference Online)
- Covers a vast range of subjects, including environmental
pollution, conservation, molecular ecology, and the management of
habitats. Has biographical notes on eminent ecologists and other
The Encyclopedia of Housing
REF HD7287.E53 1998
- Provides entries on types of housing and issues in housing,
for example historical development and legal concerns.
Encyclopedia of the city
Encyclopedia of Urban America: The
Cities and Suburbs
REF HT123.E5 1998
- Provides long entries with bibliographic information on
subjects related to planning, including social aspects (for
example, an entry on "Children in Cities") and biography.
Encyclopedia of Urban
REF HT166.E5 1974
- Includes long entries on general subjects in planning, with
extensive coverage of the architectural and planning styles of
different countries, and biographies.
Encyclopedia of Urban Studies
(©2010 by SAGE Publications)
- "The encyclopedia is intended to provide comprehensive
coverage of topics currently studied in urban studies."(from the Introduction)
Glossary of Zoning, Development, and
REF NA9108.A545 no.491/492
- Offers short definitions of terms, from "convenience store"
to the differences between types of housing or street
International Dictionary of Architects
REF NA40.I48 1993t
- Includes long entries for famous buildings, styles of
architecture and architects. Organized alphabetically in two
volumes: one for Architects and a second for Architecture.
International encyclopedia of human geography
Over 1,000 detailed entries on philosophy and theory, key concepts, methods and practices, biographies of notable geographers, and geographical thought and praxis in different parts of the world.
International History of City
HT111.G98 (1964 - 72) 8 volumes
- Includes regional treatment of urban planning styles from
around the world, with each volume discussing a different area.
Entries are essay length, and include discussion of individual
towns, and black and white photos and maps.
The New Illustrated Book of
- Includes short definitions of simple and complex ideas in
urban planning. Illustrated.
Town Planning Glossary: 10,000
Multilingual Terms in One Alphabet for European Town
REF HT166.V46 1990u
- A multilingual dictionary to be used for the purpose of
translation by planners working in a variety of languages.
Definitions are not provided, only translations of terms to
English, Spanish, French, Italian and German.
Urban Research in the Developing World
Series (4 volumes)
- Organized geographically, provides essay length country
treatments of urban planning issues, including graphs, maps and
illustrations. The first three volumes are divided as Africa,
Asia and South America, while the final volume is a discussion of
cities in the developing world.
Associations and Organizations
Association des Aménagistes
Regionaux du Québec
Canadian Institute of
- CUI is a non-profit organization dedicated to enhancing the
quality of life in urban areas across Canada and
Centre for Urban and
Community Studies (University of Toronto)
- Includes information about upcoming seminars, conferences and
publications under "What's New at CUCS". Scroll down for links to
articles discussing new issues in Urban Planning, and a short
list of historical links under "What Was New in Urban Policy
of Kingston: Planning and Development
- Includes contact information for the City of Kingston
planning divisions, as well as information about local planning
initiatives and projects and information about transportation and
by-laws. Acts as a gateway to information about the municipality
of Kingston, its attractions, and its population.
Ontario Professional Planners
Royal Town Planning
United States Department of Housing and
Urban Development: Office of Policy Development and
- A nonprofit organization which researches social and economic
problems in the U.S.
- "A nonprofit education and research institute that is
supported and directed by its members. Its mission is to provide
responsible leadership in the use of land in order to enhance the
total environment." Membership required for full access.
- Catalogue of 12,000 selected Internet resources, classified
by subject. The planning section, which opens directly here,
contains links to planning related websites with an international
- Research Highlights are brief summaries of complete reports
on the findings of research projects conducted for or by Canada
Mortgage and Housing Corporation. Divided into two streams:
Technical Series and the Socio-Economic Series.
Congress for the New Urbanism
- The News and Events section provides links to popular
articles in Urban Planning.
- A "comprehensive directory of Internet resources relevant to
planning, architecture, urbanism and other topics related to the
built environment." (State University of New York at Buffalo,
School of Architecture and Planning).
Toronto Then and Now
- Part of the Toronto Public Library catalogue, a database of
digital holdings and citations related to the history and present
of the city of Toronto, including digital images of historical
National Service Centre for Environmental
- Allows for keyword searching of U.S. Environmental Protection
Planetizen: The Planning and
- Includes links to salient topics in Urban Planning, in both
the popular and scholarly press. Also includes a searchable
directory of Urban Planners and consultants, job postings, and
- The Planning Commissioners Journal (USA), offers city and
regional planning resources. Excerpts and some full-text
articles, others are purchased downloads.
PPS: Project for Public
- PPS is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating and
sustaining public places that build communities. They provide
technical assistance, education, and research through programs in
parks, plazas and central squares; buildings and civic
architecture; transportation; and public markets.
Toxics Release Inventory (TRI)
- A publicly available U. S. Environmental Protection Agency
database that contains information on toxic chemical releases and
other waste management activities reported annually by certain
covered industry groups as well as federal facilities. It
contains full-text of documents released by the U. S. government
on the release of toxics.
Sustainable Development (Université Libre de