Canada Year Book (CYB) 1867 to present
Presented in almanac style, the Canada Year Book has tables, charts and analytical articles on every major area of Statistics Canada's expertise. The Canada Year Book is the premier reference on the social and economic life of Canada and its citizens.
- CA1 BS11 C402 Documents (non-circulating)
- Statistics Canada (11-402-XWE)
(available in print, HTML, and PDF)
- Historical CYB Collection Online
Historical Statistics of Canada, Second Edition
The second edition of Historical statistics of Canada was jointly produced by the Social Science Federation of Canada and Statistics Canada in 1983. It contains over 1000 statistical tables and documentation on the social, economic and institutional conditions of Canada from the start of Confederation in 1867 to the mid-1970s.
Census of Canada - 1608 to present
Census data is available in print format for all Censuses, although there has been increasing emphasis on electronic dissemination in recent years (e.g. 1996 and 2006).
Pre-Confederation Census data:
Data for pre-confederation Censuses has been reproduced in:
- 1871 Census, volume 4: tables for years 1665 - 1871
CA1 BSC X1.C04 1871 Documents (Reference)
- 1871 Census, volume 5: tables for years 1608 - 1876
CA1 BSC X1.C04 1871 Documents
- 1931 Census, volume 1: tables for years 1605 - 1931; also contains a guide to early census information.
"Chronological summary of population growth in Canada, with sources of information, 1605-1931", p.133-153
"Tabular statement of census and pre-censal records of Canada prior to 1931", p.1473-1511.
CA1 BSC 31C01 1931 Documents (Reference)
- 2006 Census
For 2006, the Census Handbook was merged with the Census Dictionary, and produced exclusively online.
- 2001 Census
This handbook has a table of Census questions and when they were asked ("Census Questionnaire Content and Derived Variables Since Confederation", p.29-34). If a question wasn't asked on a given Census, there's no point in searching for it.
Print: CA1 BSC 2001C05
Historical Catalogue of Statistics Canada Publications, 1918-1980 (11-512)
- CA1 BS11 C512 Documents (Reference)
Statistics Canada Catalogue, 1994 (11-204)
The 1994 index was the last 'good' analytical index before the catalogue went online. It beats the lame 1997 index (which listed catalogue numbers beside index terms but provided no hint as to what each publication was about). The 1994 index is useful for the 15 or so years not indexed by the Historical Catalogue (1980 to 1994). Then a little thing called the 'web' came alongâ€¦ and the lame 1997 index was the last hurrah for Statistics Canada print indexing.
- CA1 BS11 C204 Documents
Statistical Abstract of the United States (1878 to present)
Statistical tables on a vast array of topics.
Historical Statistics of the United States: Colonial Times 1789 - 1970
This is an extremely convenient tool for researchers who need older US data. An online version (zipped, PDF files) is available.
Historical Statistics of the United States: Earliest Times to the Present
This 5-volume update of the 1789-1970 edition adds 30 years of data (to 2000) and additional historical content.
In the print set, broad topics include:
- Population (volume 1)
- Work and welfare (volume 2)
- Economic structure and performance (volume 3)
- Economic sectors (volume 4)
- Governance and international relations (volume 5)
Bernan Press - U.S. DataBook Series
- US7 BER1 B77 Documents (compact shelving) (non-circulating)
- Housing Statistics of the United States
US7 BER1 H57 Documents (compact shelving) (non-circulating)
- Education Statistics of the United States
US7 BER E27 Documents (compact shelving) (non-circulating)
- Vital statistics of the United States: Births, life expectancy, deaths and selected health data
US7 BER1 V37 Documents (compact shelving) (non-circulating)
- Handbook of US Labor Statistics
US7 BER1 L11 Documents (compact shelving) (non-circulating)
Abstract of British Historical Statistics
Most series begin in the 18th or 19th centuries.
- UK5 UC11 M17 Documents (Reference)
Annual Abstract of Statistics - 1840 to present
Index to International Statistics
Abstract and index volumes from 1983 to present. Detailed, analytical indexing of a myriad of international statistics sources - an excellent starting point.
- US7 CIS I53 Documents (Reference)
Index to Historical Statistics - 1750-2000
- Africa, Asia and Oceania
ZZ AA 2003I53 Documents (Reference)
ZZ AA 2003I54 Documents (Reference)
- The Americas
ZZ AA 2003I55 Documents (Reference)
International Monetary Fund
- International Financial Statistics
UN9 MF I52 Documents (non-circulating)
- World Economic Outlook
UN9 MF3 W52 Documents (non-circulating)
- World Development Report
UN9 WB W52 Documents (non-circulating)
- World Tables
UN9 WB W57 Documents (non-circulating)
- Social Indicators of Development
UN9 WB S54 Documents (non-circulating)
- Vital Signs: The Environmental Trends That Are Shaping Our Future State of the World
US6 WW V37 Documents (compact shelving)
Asian Development Bank
- Asian Development Outlook
- Key Indicators of Developing Asian and Pacific Countries
ZZ ADB30 K23 Documents (compact shelving) (non-circulating)
OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development)
OECD monographs, serials and statistics are available through Source OECD.
Global Competitiveness Report
- SY7 WEF W51 Documents (reference collection)
- Country statistical yearbooks
University of Wisconsin's research guide to country statistical yearbooks or similar collections.
- Yearbooks are available in print for various countries
Last Updated: 26 August 2014