Holds, Recalls & Renewals
Holds & Recalls
What materials can I place a hold on?
- Patrons can place a "hold" on any item currently out on regular loan,
- Reserve materials cannot be put on hold
What can't I place a hold on?
- Some materials in the Library's collections are not eligible for holds. Check with the appropriate library location for materials not eligible.
Can I renew an item on hold?
- Placing a hold means that the current borrower will not be able to renew the item beyond the current due date.
How will I know if an item I have on hold is available?
- You will be notified by email when the item is available for pickup
- You must provide a valid email address to receive a notification
What materials can I place a recall on?
- Materials currently on regular or term loan can be recalled, once the initial two weeks of the loan period have passed.
- Materials required for the Library's Reserves Collections are subject to immediate recall.
How do I Place a Hold or Recall?
- Search for the desired book in QCAT.
- With either the Brief Record or the Full Record displayed on the screen, click on the Request Item in QCAT button.
- You will be asked to log into QCAT: follow the prompts on the screen.
- Select the appropriate hold or recall request from the drop-down list presented on the screen and click the "Get Request Form" button.
- Complete the form by following the instructions on the screen.
- Log into My Account, to view the status of your request(s).
- Holds and Recall requests can also be made at any Information desk.
What materials can I renew?
- Items on loan may be renewed
What materials can I not renew?
- Any material that has been requested by another borrower (in which case, a "hold request pending" will appear in the QCAT record for the item).
How do I renew library materials?
- Use the Library's online renewal service or
- bring the items, in person, to any one of the Library's Information desks.
When is an item on term loan available for renewal?
- Items out on term loan are eligible for renewal 4 weeks before the term loan due date.
Can I renew an item by phone?
- Renewal by telephone is not available.