Greening the Library
Our Green Practices
In the spirit of sustainability and environmental consciousness, Queen's University Library has been making an effort to reduce the impact of our services on the natural environment while maintaining welcoming and comfortable environments in our campus libraries. Our environmentally conscious practices include:
- Lights are shut off during closing hours, except when custodians are cleaning the library.
- Computer monitors time-out to blank screensavers after 20 minutes of inactivity, and power down after a further 20 minute period.
- Public workstations automatically shut down overnight (except for 24/7 opening periods).
- All printers offer double-sided printing.
- Recycled paper is used in printers and photocopiers.
- Printer toner cartridges are recycled.
- Post-warranty computer hardware is donated to non-profit agencies for reuse.
- Green express computer stations provide quick access to the library catalogue and the internet, but are not networked to printers.
How you can stay green and clean in the library
You can help us protect the environment AND library books and resources! Here's how:
- Please respect the Library's food and drink policies. No food/drink zones have been established in some areas to protect valuable books and equipment.
- Please eat your main meals before or after your library visit. While we recognize that students like to snack during long study sessions, the library is not a cafeteria and is not equipped to deal with large volumes of packaging and food waste.
- Opt for snacks and beverages with minimal packaging. Reusable travel mugs, bottles and snack containers not only reduce the environmental impact of packaging production, but also cut down on landfill waste. (Covered containers also help to prevent accidental spills, helping to preserve library materials.)
- Share the Space! Be mindful of others and keep the work area around you clean and clear.
- When you leave the library, ensure that recyclables and trash are sorted and disposed of in the appropriate bins. (Recycle bins cluttered with non-recyclable trash are emptied into garbage bags, sending recyclable materials to the landfill.)
- Or, pack-it-in, pack-it-out. If you have to choose packaged drinks and snacks, take the packaging with you to sort, recycle, compost or dispose of at home.
- Spread the word! Encourage your friends to do their part to help maintain a cleaner, greener Library.
The Library works with other departments and student groups to promote sustainability initiatives on campus, for example:
- Working with Physical Plant Services to set climate controls for energy conservation, while maintaining reasonable temperatures for library patrons and collections.
- Hosting a battery drop box for the ASUS Committee for the Environment (A.C.E.) Battery box campaign (at the Commissionaire's desk in Stauffer).
- Loaning energy meters [provided by Graduate Students for Environmental Sustainability (GSES)] through Stauffer Circulation.
Last Updated: 04 February 2014