Help Make Stauffer Library Cleaner and Greener!
In the spirit of sustainability and environmental consciousness, Queen's University Library has been making an effort to reduce the impact of our services on the natural environment while maintaining a welcoming and comfortable environment in Stauffer Library.
Beginning this fall, the Library is piloting the use of 100% post-consumer recycled paper at printer and copying stations. Other ongoing cleaner & greener initiatives include:
- Computer monitors are set to time out to blank screensavers after 20 minutes of inactivity, shutting down after a further 20 minute period.
- Public workstations automatically shut down overnight (except for 24/7 opening periods).
- Public printers offer double-sided printing.
- Printer toner cartridges are recycled.
- Whenever possible, old computer hardware is donated to agencies which will re-use and/or re-purpose the equipment and components.
- Climate controls are set to conserve energy while maintaining a reasonable climate for patrons & collections.
- Increased custodial services have been secured at Stauffer to clear waste and recycle bins and help keep washrooms clean.
You can help make Stauffer Library cleaner & greener! Here's how:
- Please eat hot, messy or smelly foods at the tables provided outside the Library.
- Opt for snacks and beverages with minimal packaging. Reusable travel mugs and water bottles not only reduce the environmental impact of packaging production, but also cut down on landfill waste. (And help to keep the library tidy, too!)
- Share the Space! Be mindful of others and keep your work area clean and clear of trash.
- Ensure garbage and recyclables are sorted and disposed of appropriately. (Recycle bins cluttered with non-recyclable trash are emptied into garbage bags, sending recyclable materials to the landfill.)
- Use double-sided printing when using Library print stations.
- When finished with single-sided print-outs and copies, use the blank side for notes or scrap.
- Carry library books with knapsacks and tote bags, or reuse clean shopping bags.
- Spread the word! Encourage your friends to do their part to help maintain a cleaner & greener Library.
Last Updated: 17 February 2010