Background Information: Directories, Handbooks, Encyclopedias
Advertising Age Encyclopedia of
REF HF5803 .A38 2003t (3 vols)
- US. Profiles of Ad, PR, Direct marketing, Interactive, Design, Sales promotion and Media buying services.
- U.S. American Ass'n. of Advertising Agencies. Annual. Agency profiles.
- U.S. Magazine for marketing strategists. Multiple directories, rankings, guides.
Advertising Rates and
HF5808. C2C25 (2 months only retained SL REF; 1983- Dec. only retained SL stacks)
- Media Information Network. Information on advertising, sales, marketing and corporate communication. Advertising rates and related data available on every significant medium in Canada and on selected International media.
- International Directory of Marketing Research Houses and Services
Market Research Handbook (Statistics Canada)
CA1 BS63 C224 (Docs - Latest on Docs REF)
Media Digest 2012-13 (Canadian Media Directors' Council)
Indexes & Databases
The following indexes & databases selectively provide access to magazine, journal and newspaper ARTICLES, REPORTS, and other publications.
Market share is defined as a brand's share of the total sales of all products within the product category in which the brand competes. Many company directories will provide rankings of companies by sales which will indicate who the most prominent companies are in specific industries.
It can also be found in trade journals by searching "market share" plus your company or product in one of the databases listed below. It can be measured by comparing data at the company level or by examining sales by individual brand. Watch for figures such as the size of the market in dollars, units of sales, value of shipments or industry sales in addition to phrases such as "market share" and "share of the market".
Also follow the links to company Rankings.
Selected Key Journals
For E-journals available at Queen's:Library homepage (library.queensu.ca)
Business & Economics (By Subject)
Marketing & Sales and Advertising
NOTE:Print versions of the following journals are located in Stauffer Library bound or current periodicals. Search QCAT for holdings details and to search individual online journals.
Online from 1997-
Online from 1991-
HF5415.12.E8I53 (1971-2003). Online from 1971-
Journal of Marketing
HF5415.A1J8 (1936-2009). Online from 1936-
Journal of Marketing Research
HF5415.2.J66 (1964-2009) . Online from 1964-
HF5415.M295t from 1961- . Online from 1996-
Sales and Marketing
Online from 1984-
Demographics and Statistical Data
Canadian Statistics (U. of T.)
U.S. and International Statistics (U. of T.)
special topics, such as Canadian Vital Statistics
various Statistics Canada sites, including
- Browse by Topic, Economic Trends: Metropolitan Data
FP Markets, Canadian
HC111.F4t (latest year in SL REF)
- U.S. Census Bureau.
- A guide to resources from Rutgers University Libraries.
Associations and Organizations
- Canadian advertising industry’s self-regulatory body, which administers the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards.
- An international federation of 31 trade bodies and organisations representing the advertising and marketing industries.
- The AAAA is the national trade association representing the advertising agency business in the US.
- Expertise in business-to-business marketing and communications.
- Who's Who of Canadian Advertising
- Links to Standards & Guidelines and Resources & Research; free registration.
Websites & Portals
- "The Ad*Access Project, funded by the Duke Endowment "Library 2000" Fund, presents images and database information for over 7,000 advertisements printed in U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines between 1911 - 1955."
Best Practices (American Marketing Association)
- For data on Web/Internet statistics, trends, and market research.
Last Updated: 27 August 2014