Education: History - Intermediate/Senior: Primary Sources
Examples of Primary Sources in QCAT:
- Canadian heritage collection: FC104 .F535 2003
- Canadian sources: investigated - 1914 to the present: new text FC170 .C387 2008 with teacher's guide
- Hells’corner: An illustrated history of Canada’s Great War, 1914-1918: D547.C2 G72 2004
- The last good war: An illustrated History of Canada in the Second World War, 1939-1945: D768.15 G728
- Great Canadian speeches: PN4055.C2 G74t 2004
- Great Canadian political cartoons (v.1. 1820-194, v.2 1915-1945v. 3 1946-1982) : FC173 .H69
- e-book: Our Documents: 100 Milestone Documents from the National Archives (founding to 1965, including the Declaration of Independence)
- Canada: A portrait in letters 1800-2000 / Charlotte Gray: F1003 .C25 2003
- The book of war letters : 100 years of private Canadian correspondence: FC25 .B66 2005
- Front lines from the battle front to the home front : original commemorative coverage of the second world war : a special 112-page newspaper
Lesson Ideas for Primary Sources
Historical Thinking Project from Canadian Heritage. See Lesson section.
Veteran’s Affairs Canada for free Remembrance Day materials
Ontario History Quest (Ontario Archives): Based on primary documents in the Ontario Archives from 1820s to 1970s
Ontario Time Machine: thirty books from Ontario’s early years
Canada Year Book Historical Collection:
Historical data 1867-1967 with text, tables, charts and maps, and learning resources for students and teachers
Historica: Canadian history, geography, and culture; teacher resources, biographies, and Heritage Minutes.
Media construction of presidential campaigns: JK524 S64 2006
World War II Poster Collection
During World War II, the United States government crafted hundreds of different posters to promote military service and the conservation of natural resources This collection includes digitized 338 of these posters.
Letters and Narratives
Holocaust Survivor stories (downloadable): also in print
Canadiana.org Discovery Portal: 30 collections Fr/E postcards to sheet music
Canadiana.org: and Early Canadiana Online (ECO): A digital library providing access to 3 million pages of Canada's printed heritage. It features works published from the time of the first European settlers up to the early 20th Century.
Canada in the Making: This site focuses on the history of Canada through the words of the men and women who shaped the nation. Built around the Government Documents collection of the Early Canadiana Online collection, it integrates narrative text with links to primary texts.
Images and Photographs
Historical Atlas: www.historicalatlas.ca
Search the title of each newspaper or collection in QCAT then search within by date or subject.
- The Globe and Mail - Canada's Heritage: 1844-2002
- New York Times [Full-text]: 1851- (excluding latest 2 years)
- The Times Digital Archive: 1785-1985 Toronto Star -- Pages of the Past: 1894-2004
- Libris Canadiana: Early Canadian magazines
- Connecting Canadians: Canada’s Multicultural Newspapers : http://www.connectingcanadians.org (early newspapers in their original language)
Last Updated: 30 April 2013