Browse by Chronological Period
Electronic Journals in Queen's
Articles are smaller in scope than
books and can therefore focus on more particular aspects of a
given topic. Since articles are faster to produce and publish,
the most up-to-date research often appears in this form. Many are
now available on-line, making them attractive also in terms of
convenience. Articles in scholarly journals are
peer-reviewed—that is to say, they have gone through an
anonymous formal vetting and editing process—whereas
articles in magazines or newspapers are accepted at the
discretion of a single editor. In general, the most nuanced and
thoroughly researched articles on literary topics are found in
scholarly journals: these are what you should most often cite in
research essays in the English Department.
Articles are not listed in QCAT. You must use an index to find
articles in scholarly journals and magazines. Then, search for
the journal or magazine in QCAT.
Publication coverage: 1925 - present
- Published by the Modern Language Association, this is the standard bibliography for scholarly writing on literature, linguistics, drama, folklore, etc. Indexes over 4,000 international journals, as well as monographs, dissertations, and other publications.
Publication coverage: 1892 - present (some primary texts date from 600 AD)
Access restricted to the Queen's community (4 user limit)
- Searchable database of more than 350,000 works of English and American poetry, drama, and prose. Also indexes criticism from The Annual Bibliography of English Language and Literature (ABELL) and MLA International Bibliography (MLAIB), and includes the full text of 104 specialist literature journals.
The Literature Resource Center is a complete literature reference database rich in biographical, bibliographical, and critical content.
Publication coverage: Varies by title
- A collection of peer-reviewed electronic journals in the arts, humanities, fine arts, social sciences and mathematics.
Subscription purchased by MacIsaac Memorial Fund in memory of Vera May MacIsaac, BA 1925
Publication coverage: Varies with publication.
Journal Storage, the Scholarly Journal Archive is an electronic journal archive which provides online access to the entire "backrun" of many core academic journals in the humanities, social sciences, business, and law. From Vol. 1 to within 2-5 years of current volume.
In addition to being an archive, JSTOR offers current access to some titles from various publishers.
Other Useful Indexes
Abstracts of English Studies
REF PN2 .A16 (1958 - 1991)
- Contains summaries of journal articles and books. Note: does not continue to the present day.
Publication coverage: 1975 - present
- Tracks the citation of scholarly articles. Includes citation in books, but not citation of books. While for the humanities it is an imperfect tool for gauging influence of scholarly work, it can be used to grasp the shape of debates or discussions that are not easily described by topic or author.
Publication coverage: Varies with publication
- Indexes articles published in and about Canada. Covers Canadian topics including business, politics, literature, history, and news events.
Publication coverage: Indexed articles: 1977 - present ; Full-text articles: 1983 - present
Print holdings: 1920 - 1998: Check QCAT
- An interdisciplinary index to over 400 English and French Canadian periodicals indexed by author and subject.
Essay and General Literature Index
REF AI3 .E7 from 1900-
- An author and subject index to essays and articles.
Publication coverage: 1967-
- Covers all aspects of European medieval studies from 450 to 1500.
- BNNA is a bibliographic database covering all aspects of native North American culture, history, and life.
Publication coverage: 17th century - present
- Includes biographies, autobiographies, personal narratives, speeches, diaries, letters, oral histories, reference works, manuscripts, and photographs and images of indigenous peoples from all areas of North America.
Publication coverage: 1843 - present
- Indexes articles and reviews from over 550 scholarly journals pertaining to the Middle Ages and Renaissance (400-1700).
- Bibliography of all manuscripts and editions of John Milton's works and all studies and critical statements concerning his life and works.
Publication coverage: varies; see individual titles
- PEP Web provides access to the PEP Web archive, which contains both books and journal articles. The book archive includes the full text of the Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud, Freud's letters to his major collaborators and the full text of the major works by Wilfred Bion, Melanie Klein and Donald Winnicott along with other major psychoanalytic authors. The journals in the archive presently include the full text many premier English-language journals in psychoanalysis.
- Indexes citations to 45 periodicals of the Victorian period (1824-1900). It indexes thousands of journal articles on a wide range of subjects, including literature, religion, politics, social science, women’s studies, science, and the arts.
REF PR13 .E5Y (1919 - 2001)
Online from 2001-
- A review of important articles and books in literary studies in any given year.