A book review is an evaluative essay
concerning the strengths and weaknesses of a published book. Book
reviews can be useful for assessing a book's critical importance
and its relation to other books in its field.
For contemporary reviews of works
published in earlier centuries, see also
History of Criticism .
Publication coverage: 1965 - present
- Indexes English language book reviews. Search by title,
author, journal, review type, length of review, reading level of
book, or publication format.
Canadian Book Review Annual
REF Z1035 .A1C3t from 1975-
Publication coverage: 1982 - present
- An interdisciplinary index that includes book reviews cited
in major newspapers and 350 Canadian journals. Search by keyword
combing the following three words: the author's last name; a word
from the title; and the word review?
This search string requests reviews of Margaret Atwood's novel
The Robber Bride.
- e.g. review? and atwood and
Publication coverage: Indexed articles: 1977 - present ; Full-text articles: 1983 - present
Print holdings: 1920 - 1998: Check QCAT
- An interdisciplinary index to Canadian periodicals with special headings for book reviews, poems, moving picture reviews, Canadian drama, and short stories.
An Index to Book Reviews in the Humanities
REF Z1035 .A1I38 (1961-1990)
- Strong coverage of academic and non-fiction books;
international in scope.
Note: does not continue to the present day.
Publication coverage: 1850 - present
Includes complete runs of 12 major American journals that regularly contain important articles on politics and public policy, covering the spectrum from liberal to conservative.
Publication coverage: 1983 - present
Print holdings: REF AI3.R2 from 1900- (Readers' Guide to Periodical
REF AP3.R496 (1890-1922) (Nineteenth Century Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature)
- The last section in each volume lists book reviews by author.
See also the guide Find and
Write Book Reviews.