Global Development Studies: Country Reports
Photo: via Flickr (CC license)
International Government Information Search
Country Reports and Information
On this Page:
The world's constitutions to read, search and compare.
- Country Statistical Yearbooks
University of Wisconsin's research guide to country statistical yearbooks or similar collections for 111 countries worldwide.
- Economist Intelligence Unit
- OECD Economic Surveys
ZZ EC33... (Documents Reference and Compact Shelving)
Full text of OECD books, periodicals, and statistical databases.
- Country Studies / Area Handbooks
US1 DI6... (to 1998; Documents Compact Shelving)
Online via Library of Congress: Country studies (1988-1998); Country profiles (brief; more current)
- International Monetary Fund
Select "Country Reports".
- World Bank. Documents and Reports
Select "Browse by country".
- World Bank. Doing Business
See pull-down menus in the upper right corner or use Get Full Data to create a custom dataset.
- CIAO (Columbia International Affairs Online)
Research in international affairs. Includes maps, country data, and briefs from public policy institutes.
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada. Market Reports
Select a region; then a country. Under Services and Resources, select "Market Prospect".
Information includes country factsheets, economic reports, and industry reports.
- Export Development Canada (EDC). Country Information
- CIA World Factbook
- BBC News
On the left sidebar, click on "Country Profiles"; then select a country.
Information includes history, politics, and economic background as well as links to audio and video clips.
Search "Country Studies".
- Use research databases to find articles about a country.
Some useful databases:
- Use yearbooks for country profiles.
Europa world year book - JN1.E85 (Stauffer Library - Information Desk)
Statesman's year-book - JA51.S7 (Stauffer Library - Information Desk)
- Search QCAT (Library Catalogue) to find books about a country.
Examples (using Keyword search):
"costa rica" and ecology
japan and ("country study" or "area handbook")
- Factiva - international newspapers
- Lexis/Nexis - international newspapers
- World News Connection - English-language translations of international news reports
- More newspaper databases
- United Nations. Statistical Yearbook
UN4 ESA100 S79 (Documents Reference)
- United Nations. Demographic Yearbook
UN4 ESA100 D29 (Documents Reference)
- International Monetary Fund. International Financial Statistics
UN9 MF I52 (Documents Reference)
- World Bank
- Penn World Tables
- Trade Analyser (World Trade Database)
Find more statistics sources
- Index to International Statistics (IIS)
US7 CIS I53 (Documents Reference)
Look up your topic or country in the Index volume. Using the item number, go to the Abstract volume to find the title. Then look up the title in QCAT.
- United Nations. Human Development Report
UN1 DP H72 (Documents Reference)
- World Economic Forum. Global Competitiveness Report
SY7 WEF W51 (Documents Reference)
- Amnesty International's Country Reports
- U.S. Department of State. Country Reports on Human Rights Practices
- Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada - Travel reports
Last Updated: 29 October 2009