Languages and Linguistics: Websites
- Virtual library relating to applied linguistics with various resources and links to other virtual libraries. Maintained by the Department of Applied Linguistics, Birkbeck College, University of London.
- CAL is a private, nonprofit organization "concerned with the teaching and learning of language....conducts research, provides information, and promotes improvements in language education."
- The Centre for Research on Language Contact (CRLC) brings together the research activities of the faculty members and students of York University who investigate various aspects of language contact at both societal and individual levels.
Thesauri links (Queen's Library)
- Internet links to English, other language and miscellaneous dictionaries as well as thesauri.
Ethnologue: Languages of the World (SIL International)
- Excellent Web resource for information on world languages. Language information can be accessed via a search interface, or browsed by language name, family or code. Also contains a useful "point and click" map to find language information for the region chosen.
- Monitors trends in language throughout the world.
iLoveLanguages (Human Languages Page)
- "iLoveLanguages' purpose is to list, categorize, and promote Internet resources related to language learning, education, and use. iLoveLanguages is a comprehensive catalog of language-related Internet resources. The more than 2000 links at iLoveLanguages have been hand-reviewed to bring you the best language links the Web has to offer."
- LINGUIST maintains a web-site with over 2000 pages and runs a mailing list with over 17,000 subscribers worldwide. LINGUIST also hosts searchable archives of over 100 other linguistic mailing lists and runs research projects which develop tools for the field, e.g., a peer-reviewed database of language and language-family information, and recommendations of best practice for digitizing endangered languages data. Searchable or browseable.
Resources on the Internet (SIL International)
- Extensive topically organized list of linguistic resources on the Internet. See also the link to Linguistic Data Resources on the Internet on the page. Maintained by SIL International, formerly the Summer Institute of Linguistics.
- Map of languages of the US. Language and linguistics data extracted from the 2000 US Census provides information about the linguistic and cultural composition of the United States. Interactive.
Last Updated: 08 March 2011