Music: Women, Gender & Music
Grove Music Online
Ref. ML100 .N48 2001 29 vols.
Web access to The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians.
See the chapter entry "Women in music".
International encyclopedia of women
composers / Aaron I. Cohen.
Ref. ML105 .C7 1987 2 v. (2nd ed.)
- Biographical information for nearly 6200 women composers. Vol. 2 lists "Composers by country and century" and "Composers by instrument and music form".
The New Grove dictionary of women
composers / ed. Sadie & Samuel
Ref. ML390 .N488 1994t
The Oxford history of Western music /
6 vols. on order 2005
- Sets the details of music, the chronological sweep of figures, works, and musical ideas, within the larger context of world affairs and cultural history, providing greater attention to the full range of 20th century music, including American music as part of the mainstream tradition of western music, women in music, and popular musics.
The Pandora guide to women composers :
Britain and the United States 1629-present / Sophie
Ref. ML390 .F847 1994t
- Biographies and photos.
Women and music in America since 1900
: an encyclopedia / ed. Kristine H. Burns.
Ref. ML82 .W625 2002 2 v.
Women composers and hymnists : a
concise biographical dictionary / Gene Claghorn.
Ref. BV325 .C58 1984
Women composers and songwriters : a
concise biographical dictionary / Gene Claghorn.
Ref. ML105 .C593 1996
- Covers secular and sacred music and women composers of classical, blues, jazz, heavy metal, rock 'n' roll, hard rock, soul, country and western and church music.
Women in music : an encyclopedic
biobibliography / Hixon and Hennessee.
Ref. ML105 .H6 1993 2 v.
- Biographies of women musicians of all periods and countries, listed alphabetically and by genre/classification/century/country.
Bibliographies : selected examples (ML128)
Guitar music by women composers : an
annotated catalog / MacAuslan and Aspen.
Ref. ML128 .G8 M33 1997
Keyboard music by women composers : a
catalog and bibliography / Joan M. Meggett
Ref. ML128 .H35 M43 (1981)
Organ and harpsichord music by women
composers : an annotated catalog / Adel Heinrich.
Ref. ML128 .O6 O73 1991
"Say can you deny me" : a guide to
surviving music by women from the 16th through the 18th centuries
/ Barbara Garvey Jackson.
Ref. ML128 .W7 J3 1994
Women and music : a selective
annotated bibliography on women and gender issues in music,
1987-1992 / Margaret Ericson.
Ref. ML128 .W7 E75 1996t
Women in American music : a
bibliography of music and literature / eds. Adrienne Fried Block
and Carol Neuls-Bates.
Ref. ML128 .W7 B6 1979
Women in music : a research and
information guide / Karin Pendle.
Ref. ML128 .W7 P46 2005
Multimedia : selected examples (Ask at Circulation Desk)
Contemporary anthology of music by
CD02-047(M2 .C77 1997 non-circulating book housed separately in Stacks)
Jazzwomen [multimedia] : conversations
with twenty-one musicians
CD05-0188(ML395 .E572 2004 book housed separately in Stacks)
Through her eyes [videorecording] :
Canadian women composers.
Video no. 117
Journals and Relevant Databases
Journal of the IAWM (International
Alliance for Women in Music)
ML82 .I28 (1997-present in Jordan Library Bound Journal Stacks)
Women & music : a journal of
gender and culture
ML82 .W62 (1997-2003 in Jordan Library Bound Journal Stacks and online through Project Muse 2004 - present)
Gender Studies Database
- Database includes information on women, gender and music.
GRIME International (Gender Research in Music Education)
- An international organization devoted to research in music education involving gender issues. Sponsor of GEMS (Gender, Education, Music & Society), a peer-reviewed, on-line journal that explores the myriad intersections between gender, education, music and society.
- Builds awareness of women's contributions to musical life through its publications, website, international competitions, conferences, congresses, concert promotions, and presentations.
- Includes links to LAC's Music Archives, listing fonds of some Canadian women composers, Women in Canadian Life and Society, Music and Literature , with biographical summaries of Emma Albani, Helen Creighton, La Bolduc (Mary Travers), Kathleen Parlow, Barbara Pentland and Ethel Stark and sample audio clips of their work, as well as Historica Foundation's Encyclopedia of Music in Canada.
- Maintained by the Women's Studies Section of the Association of College and Research Libraries (American Library Association)
- List of sites provided by Indiana University William and Gayle Cook Music Library.
- List of sites provided by University of Washington's Music Library. See also the Women Composers database, still under construction.
Women Composer sites
- Site devoted to Clara Wieck Schumann, 1819-1896.
- Nick Bedell's site on The Life and Works of Hildegard von Bingen.
- A commemorative symposium site on the 25th anniversary of the death of 20th century composer, Nadia Boulanger, 1887-1979.
- GEMS (Gender, Education, Music, and Society, the on-line journal of GRIME (Gender Research in Music Education)
- Journal of the IAWM
- Women & music : a journal of gender and culture
- Relevant database which includes information on women, gender and music.
Last Updated: 28 March 2016