Local Newspapers on Microfilm at Stauffer Library:
Stauffer library has many Canadian newspapers from the late eighteenth century to the mid-twentieth century on microfilm. They are listed here, by province and city, but can also be searched by title in QCAT. Please note, there are other newspapers on microfilm at W.D. Jordan Special Collections, which can be found via QCAT.
Democracy at War
- An archive of WWII-era Canadian newspaper articles released by the Canadian War Museum.
Start date varies. Selected Canadian French and English newspapers.
OurOntario.ca Community Newspapers Collection
Peel's Prairie Provinces: Newspapers
Alberta Newspapers Collection
British Columbia Historical Newspapers
Nova Scotia Historical Newspapers
Nova Scotia Historical Newspaper Project
Prince George Newspapers
Free digital & searchable access to Prince George's newspapers from 1909 to 1976 including the Citizen.
- Search and view newspaper pages from 1836-1922 and find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present.
Publication coverage: Varies depending on publication.
- Includes historically significant leftist newspapers such as The People (est. 1891) and The Class Struggle (1931-1937).
Publication coverage: Varies by title
- Titles include:
Atlanta Constitution, Boston Globe, Chicago Defender, Chicago Tribune, Christian Science Monitor, Hartford Courant, Los Angeles Times, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post.
List of U.S. Historical newspapers on microfilm at Stauffer Library (pdf) (listed by title)
List of U.S. Historical newspapers on microfilm at Stauffer Library (pdf) (listed by city)
British Humanities Index
AI3 .B86 Compact shelving
- Indexes regional news publications from England. (Supercedes The Subject Index to Periodicals).
- Searchable, digital facsimiles of English newspapers and journals.
- 10 newspapers (Le Figaro (1826-1942) and L'Humanité (1904-1944) included).
- To access, go to the University of Illinois Historical Newspapers page and scroll to the section, More International Digital Newspaper Collections.
Publication coverage: 1800-1900
- Collection of magazines, journals and specialty newspapers provides an in-depth view of life in the Victorian age.
- Full-text, fully searchable digital archive of nearly 1,270 newspapers and news pamphlets from the UK.
Gale NewsVault enables cross-searching of Gale’s historical newspapers from a single interface, providing access to more than 400 years of content and 10 million digitized pages. The following are among the titles and collections indexed:
- 17th-18th Century Burney Collection Newspapers
- 19th Century UK Periodicals: Empire
- 19th Century UK Periodicals: New Readerships,
- Illustrated London News Historical Archive
- Times Digital Archive
Newspapers from Around the World