Political Studies: Encyclopedias & Dictionaries
Consult specialized encyclopedias or dictionaries to get a broad overview of a subject, a concise overview of a concept, school of thought or person. To find encyclopedias or dictionaries on your topic, search QCAT using the keywords of your topic combined with "encyclopedia" or "dictionaries".
Blackwell Dictionary of Political
Science: a User's Guide to its Terms
REF JA61.B43 1999
- This scholarly work defines 1,000 words and phrases in political science. The entries are lengthy for a dictionary, averaging half a page. The dictionary uses language that is both clear and authoritative, has extensive cross-references, and appends a bibliography to most of the entries.
Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Political
REF JA61.B57 1987t
- Provides a guide to the major concepts and ideas in political science.
A Dictionary of Modern
REF JA61.R53 2002
- Consists of some 500 brief essays that provide a clear guide to the complex ideologies and terminology of world politics.
The Dictionary of the History of
REF CB5.D52 1973
- Provides essays on political ideas, ideologies and movements.
- Includes various social sciences dictionaries and guides, including The Oxford Guide to the United States Government and more....
Oxford Companion to Politics of the
REF JA61.O95 2001
- Over 500 contributors from 40 nations have written 672 entries on the people, concepts, countries and events that have shaped the world.
The Almanac of Canadian
REF JL193.A75 1995t
Canadian Party Platforms
- Provides a compilation of the platforms and policy statements issued by Canadian political parties for federal elections from 1867-1968. Also Includes election results for each province.
Canada Votes, 1935-1988
REF JL193.A54 1989
The Language of Canadian Politics: a
Guide to Important Terms and Concepts (2006)
REF JA61.M27 2001
- Lists over 500 cross-referenced entries that describe the institutions, concepts, public policies, events and laws in Canadian politics
Organization of the Government of
CA1 IF O63 (1990 edition in Government Documents Reference)
Dictionary of American Diplomatic
- Good tool to check personages, events and organizations up to and including most of the Reagan years.
Encyclopedia of American Foreign
REF JX1407.E53 2002
- 121 in-depth scholarly essays with extensive bibliographies on the concepts, themes, movements, and distinctive policies found in the history of American foreign relations.
Encyclopedia of American Political
REF E183.E48 2001
- An excellent starting point for students and general readers. Entries are concise, readable, and informative and cover such topics as people, parties, political movements, and historical events. Complements the major work, Encyclopedia of American Political History (see below).
Encyclopedia of American Political
REF E183.E5 1984t
- Provides lengthy articles with historical perspectives, on the principal movements and ideas in American history. Bibliographies included with each article.
Encyclopedia of the American
REF HX86.E58 1990t
- People, organizations, and events associated with movements for radical social change and leftist positions on general topics ranging from abortion to utopianism are discussed in some 600 articles. Each article is followed by a brief, well-chosen list of references, and there are name and subject indexes plus a glossary of terms and acronyms
The United States Government
Government Documents US1 GS25 U57
- The latest volume is on reference. This manual is the classic historical and official source for general information about the U.S. government.
Dictionary of the Modern Politics of
REF JQ1605.S86 2003
- This dictionary begins with an introductory essay and a section on theories of Japanese politics. The 250 entries that follow cover virtually every topic of possible interest to students of post-WW II Japanese politics: important individuals; government, social, political, labor and trade organizations; international relations; and political, economic, and social issues and events.
Encyclopedia of the European
REF JN30.E52 1998
- The entries cover "concepts, issues, developments, institutions, policies, events, negotiations, treaties, national interests, and personalities related to European integration." Some of the articles (about 100) are signed, the others (about 600) are not.
Encyclopedia of the Third
REF HC59.7.K87 1992
- This three-volume set provides descriptions of the major political, economic, and social systems of 122 countries and the major international organizations concerned with Third World countries.
Handbook of Federal Countries,
REF JC355.H364 2005
- This resource describes the history and development, constitutional provisions, and current political dynamics for 21 countries that are federations (as well as four the book cover says have "significant elements of federalism"), adding some basic political, geographic, social, and economic data, and a list of sources.
World Encyclopedia of Political
Systems and Parties
REF JF2011.W67 1999
- This three-volume set includes articles on 193 nations arranged alphabetically by the common English name of each country. The authors describe government structures, emphasizing executive, legislative, and judicial institutions and electoral systems, and offer brief historical, demographic, and economic information where appropriate. They describe the background and recent contributions of major and some minor political parties, as well as interest groups that influence the political process.
Encyclopedia of Democracy
REF JC423.E53 1995t
- This four volume set comprises more than 400 signed articles by scholars chosen for their knowledge of "countries, geographical regions, historical eras, important individuals, philosophical concepts, and many other issues important to an understanding of democracy." Articles are alphabetically arranged by topic, with tables of contents by subject and author; a detailed index to the entire encyclopedia is printed at the end of each volume
Encyclopedia of Genocide and Crimes
REF HV6322.7.E532 2005 (Law Library)
Encyclopedia of Nationalism
REF JC311.S5484 1990
- The work consists of 250 well-written entries with brief bibliographies. The various nationalisms covered include the expected and familiar American, Chinese, French, and German plus the less familiar Armenian, Jurassic, and Kurdish. Various nationalist groups, past and present, appear in the encyclopedia, including Al Fatah, the Carbonari, the Irish Republican Army, and UNITA. Concepts and topics developed by scholars of nationalism are also explained: Hayes Classification, jingoism, and mini-nationalisms.
Encyclopedia of Politics and
REF BL65.P7E53 1998
- The two-volume set provides about 256 articles, written and signed by leading scholars from numerous countries, with bibliographies on concepts, countries, peoples, and religions.
Encyclopedia of the United
KZ4968.M66 2002 (Education Reference)
- Provides a "guide to the UN's institutions, procedures, policies, specialized agencies, historic personalities, initiatives, and involvement in world affairs". The text consists of several hundred brief, alphabetically arranged, cross-referenced entries interspersed with longer explanatory essays accompanied by suggestions for further reading, including Web sites.
Encyclopedia of Violence, Peace &
REF HM886.E53 1999
- This three-volume set provides researchers with a view of violence, peace and conflict from perspectives ranging from anthropological to ethical studies to sociological studies in lengthy chapters with extensive bibliographical citations.
- Provide definitions for the language of international relations.
The Human Rights
REF JC571.L523 2001
- In this set, volume 1 is a country-by-country summary of the status of human rights in specific nations. Volume 2 continues the country analysis and also lists human rights issues and notable individuals who have had impact on human rights, nationally and internationally. Volume 3 continues consideration of issues but includes as well appendixes consisting of UN human rights documents and international treaties and declarations
International Encyclopedia of Women's
REF JF851.H28 2000
- Beyond facts and dates about suffrage, the articles in this resource offer insight into women's lives in many countries. Entries, varying in length from half a page to eight pages, cover countries, major individuals, organizations, movements, publications, and issues. Most include a bibliography. International Relations: the Key ConceptsREF JZ1160.G75 2002The 150 concepts are introduced in short essays that define the terms and identify the historical origins and subsequent development of its use in IR. Includes a short bibliography at the end of each entry.
Last Updated: 27 March 2013