Scholarly journal articles are very important sources for research as they contain the most-up-to-date research in a given field and often focus on a particular aspect of a topic. Journal articles are not listed in QCAT. Use an index or a database to find articles (journal, magazine and newspaper). There are different types of articles: scholarly, popular or trade.
Tip:Remember to search journal title and not article title in QCAT
Publication coverage: 1952 - present
- Premiere database for finding sociological research. Searches over 2000 journals and more....
- A pre-selected group of 3 citation, abstract, and full-text databases covering literature published in sociology. Each database can be searched separately but they also can be searched as a group, from this starting point.
Publication coverage: 1985-
- Full text collection of 255+ journals in sociology and social work. Can be searched just like an index, but search results will only be drawn from the 255+ journals, compared to Sociological Abstracts, which indexes over 2000 journals.
Publication coverage: 1972 - present
- An excellent resource for finding articles on Women's Studies, Men's Studies, Sexual Diversity, and Family and Social Studies.
Publication coverage: 1953-
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender issues
Publication coverage: Journal articles: 1981 - present ; Books: 1993 - present.
- Index to journal articles and books in all areas of law.
Click on LawSource on right side of screen for access
Publication coverage: Varies
- "WestlawNext Canada's mandate is to provide coverage of unreported court decisions from 1986 forward and reported court decisions from 1977, as well as decisions published in Carswell law reports from their inception. You will also find that WestlawNext Canada includes an extensive collection of decisions predating 1977 from key courts and law report series."
Indexes for Non-Mainstream Publications
Publication coverage: 1991 - 2009
Print holdings: 1969 - present
Access restricted to the Queen's community (5 user limit)
- Interdisciplinary index to alternative, radical and left periodicals, newspapers and magazines.
Publication coverage: 1959 - present
- Interdisciplinary, with a focus on publications from ethnic, minority and native presses.
Publication coverage: Varies depending on publication.
- A complete guide to the diverse literature of the left, with emphasis on political, economic, social and culturally engaged scholarship inside and outside academia.
Multidisciplinary Social Sciences Indexes
Publication coverage: 1951- (updated quarterly)
- Provides international coverage and indexes journal articles, books, reviews and selected chapters.
Publication coverage: 1900 - present
- An index to major journals in the social sciences.
Broad Multidisciplinary Indexes
- Use the Google search engine to locate articles from a wide variety of academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories and universities, as well as scholarly articles published on the "open" web.
Publication coverage: 1865 - present
- Find articles in peer-reviewed journals, conference proceedings, monographs and reports covering a broad spectrum of topics.