Holds & Recalls
Patrons can place a "hold" on any item currently out on a regular one or two week loan. Placing a hold means that the current borrower will not be able to renew the item beyond the current due date. The patron who has placed the hold will be notified by email when the item is available for pickup, provided that the Library has a valid email address for the patron.
All items currently out on a term loan can be recalled, once the initial two weeks of the term loan have passed. Materials required for the libraries' Reserve Collections are subject to immediate recall.
How to Place a Hold or Recall
You may place holds and recalls on items via the QCAT Library Catalogue. Alternatively, these requests can be made at any circulation desk in the library system.
- Search for the desired book in QCAT.
Note: some materials in the Library's collections are not eligible for holds (e.g. course reserve materials). To ask about the conditions which apply to special materials in a specific campus Library, check with the Circulation Desk in the appropriate Library.
- With either the Brief Record or the Full Record displayed on the screen, click on the Request Item in QCAT button (found at the top and bottom of all QCAT screens).
- You will be asked to log in to QCAT: follow the prompts on the screen.
- Select the appropriate request from the drop-down list presented on the screen and click the "Get Request Form" button.
- Complete the form by following the instructions on the screen.
- Log in to your Patron Record regularly, to view the status of your request(s).
Last Updated: 13 September 2010