PCensus for MapPoint
PCensus provides detailed Canadian and United States Census data to a very detailed level of geography.
- 1981 - 2011 Censuses of Canada at standard levels of census and postal geography
(Province, CMA/CA, Census Tracts, FSA's, etc.)
- 1990 and 2000 United States Censuses to the 'block' level.
- Consumer Spending Potential Database (2004 and 2007)
- Canada Business Summary Database (2004 and 2007)
- PCensus for MapPoint can also be used to extract data by user defined areas (circles, polygons, drive-time areas).
- Sample Profiles for Canada, Provinces, Territories, and selected CMA/CA's for the 1981 through 2006 Census (in Excel format [.xlsx]).
PCensus for MapPoint is installed on all computers in the Library:
- Login to the Library Computer you are working at using your NetId.
- Open the 'Humanities & Social Sciences Research Databases' folder on the desktop.
- Open 'PCensus Mappoint'
- Tables from Statistics Canada
- Statistics Canada Publications [CA1 BS..., Documents (Reference)]
- Historical Statistics of Canada [Print: CA1 BS11 C516 Documents (Reference); Online]
- Statistics Canada Census
- Market Research Handbook [Print: CA1 BS63 C224 Documents (Reference); Online]
- PCensus 10 for MapPoint - Basic Guide - How to extract statistics for standard Census Geography
- PCensus 10 for MapPoint - Pointfile Guide - How to extract statistics for standard geographic areas that are part of a larger standard geographic area (e.g. all Census Tracts in the CMA of Kingston) -- useful in GIS applications
- PCensus 10 for MapPoint - Importing Point Data - How to import data points from a spreadsheet to MapPoint and then measure distances between points. A sample spreadsheet of Kingston Census Tract data can be downloaded here.
- PCensus 10 for MapPoint - User Created Geographic Areas - Pointfile Guide - How to extract statistics for geographic locations that are part of a larger user-defined geographic area (e.g. all Census Tracts in a drawn polygon)
How to Cite PCensus
Suggested Citation (in this case for data from the 2001 Census):
Statistics Canada. 2001 Census of Canada: Profile Data. Ottawa, Canada. Statistics Canada [producer]; Tetrad Computer Applications, Vancouver, BC [distributor]. Available: Queen's University Social Science Data Centre.
Depending on your needs, you could include more detail in the citation (e.g. level of geography).
In this case you would use the same basic citation, but include:
... 2001 Census of Canada: Profile Data for Kingston at the Census Tract level. Ottawa...
Queen's University Libraries has paid for a campus-wide license for PCensus.
Contact MADGIC to obtain the software/data for Queen's, academic, non-profit purposes.
Microsoft MapPoint, which adds convenient and powerful mapping features to PCensus, is available at a reduced rate under a separate license agreement. Contact the Queen's Computing Store for details.
Last Updated: 25 November 2013