How To: WebProxy
What's Available From Off-Campus
The off-campus web proxy service only supports access to restricted/paid-access Queen's resources, including:
- Most online journals & ebooks
- Most library databases (Scholars Portal, Web of Science, Ovid, EBSCOhost, ProQuest, etc...)
- Google Scholar
- Exambank & Law Exams
Browse the full Off-Campus URL List.
How to Use the Off-Campus Web Proxy Service
- Go to the Off-Campus Access login screen and enter your Queen's NetID and Password
- To visit a specific link/URL, copy-and-paste the desired URL into the URL box.
The key thing to remember is that, once you are logged in, you can only follow links. Once you open a new browser window or enter a new URL directly into your browser address box, you will be taken out of the connected environment.
- Once you login, you will be 'connected from off-campus' as long as you continue to work within the SAME web browser window. If you open up a new browser session/window, you will NOT be proxied in the new session/window.
- Do not use your Home button, your favorites or bookmarks.
- Your proxy session will timeout after 2 hours of inactivity.
- To exit from the proxy, close your web browser.
How to Tell if You Are Properly Connected:
As long as you can see "proxy.queensu.ca" in the URL in your browser window, you are still connected.
Access Permissions & Restrictions
Off-campus access to library resources is provided for:
- Current students (full and part-time)
- Faculty members (including Emeritus professors or retired professors with active netids or a card)
- Current employees (including permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting)
- Users who are sponsored by a department (via the department's IT Administrative Representative)
You must have a valid Queen's NetID to properly authenticate.
Why is it necessary to authenticate with a valid NetID? The library system must sign a licensing agreement with our online content providers, which requires us to ensure that only current members of the Queen's community uses these resources. We only restrict access when a license agreement requires us to do so.
Unfortunately, we cannot provide off-campus access to:
- Former staff
- Students who are not currently enrolled & paying tuition fees
- Adjunct professors/lecturers who do not have a current or future teaching contract
About the Web Proxy Software (EZproxy)
The web proxy off-campus service uses EZProxy as its underlying software. EZProxy allows users to sign in to a proxy server which acts on behalf of a computer being used in a remote location.
- Authentication URL:
- Library Proxy URL:
https://proxy.queensu.ca/login?url=[URL TO VISIT]
To create URLs to Queen's-only resources that work from off-campus locations:
Report a Problem & Get Help
Queen's IT Services Help & Support
Contact ITS if you have problems with your NetID and login. You can also call at 613.533.6666.
Ask a Library Question
Ask Us if you have problems accessing specific library resources