How To Web Proxy
What's Available From Off-Campus
The off-campus web proxy service supports access to restricted/paid-access Queen's resources, including:
- Most online journals & ebooks
- Most library databases (Scholars Portal, Web of Science, Ovid, EBSCOhost, ProQuest, etc.)
- Google Scholar
- Exambank & Law Exams
How to Use the Off-Campus Web Proxy Service
- Go to the Off-Campus Access login screen and enter your Queen's NetID and password
- To visit a specific link/URL, copy-and-paste the desired URL into the URL box
You may also browse our search tools such as Omni, Journals, and Databases directly.
The key thing to remember is that, once you are logged in, you can only follow links. Once you open a new browser window or enter a new URL directly into your browser address box, you may lose your connection.
- Once you login, you will be 'connected from off-campus' as long as you continue to work within the same web browser window.
- Do not use your Home button bookmarks
- Your proxy session will timeout after 2 hours of inactivity
- To exit from the proxy, close your web browser
How to Tell if You Are Properly Connected
As long as you can see "proxy.queensu.ca" in the URL in your browser window, you are still connected.
Access Permissions & Restrictions
Off-campus access to library resources is provided for:
- Current students (full and part-time)
- Faculty members (including Emeritus professors or retired professors with active netids or a card)
- Current employees (including permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting)
- Users who are sponsored by a department (via the department's IT Administrative Representative)
You must have a valid Queen's NetID to properly authenticate.
Unfortunately, we cannot provide off-campus access to:
- Former staff
- Students who are not currently enrolled & paying tuition fees
- Adjunct professors/lecturers who do not have a current or future teaching contract
- Community members
Why is it necessary to authenticate with a valid NetID?
The library system must sign a licensing agreement with our online content providers, which requires us to ensure that only current members of the Queen's community uses these resources. We only restrict access when a license agreement requires us to do so.
About the Web Proxy Software (EZproxy)
The web proxy off-campus service uses EZproxy as its underlying software. EZproxy allows users to sign in to a proxy server which acts on behalf of a computer being used in a remote location.
- Authentication URL:
- Library Proxy URL:
https://proxy.queensu.ca/login?url=[URL TO VISIT]
To create URLs to Queen's-only resources that work from off-campus locations, please use our Off-Campus Link Creator.
Report a Problem & Get Help
Please Contact ITS if you have problems with your NetID and login. You can also call at 613.533.6666.
Ask Us if you have problems accessing specific library resources