- The sound recordings collection includes: the CAPAC musical portraits series, the Anthology of Canadian Music series by CBC/Radio Canada International, many of the Centrediscs issued by the Canadian Music Centre and some in the Contact series from the Canadian Electroacoustic Community. There is also the Glenn Gould Collection of 12 videorecordings. Search for these series by Title in QCAT. For ex: centrediscs
- Keyword(s) searches (including the words "disc" or "LP disc" or "compact disc" or "video") work best for retrieving recordings. For example, ... music? and canad? and disc retrieves several hundred matches. music? and canad? and video retrieves far fewer. Or, search specifically under the names of Canadian composers or performers or keywords from the titles of musical works.
Periodical Indexes & Internet resources
Music Index Online indexes more than 655 international music periodicals from 1979 until the present.
Access to scholarly resources and dissertations is through RILM Abstracts of Music Literature : (Repertoire international de la litterature musicale) -- The electronic version of this index is available through Indexes & Databases on the Queen's Libraries homepage.
CANADIAN MUSIC PERIODICAL INDEX (CMPI) (National Library of Canada).
MERB (Music Education Resource Base). Supported by the University of Victoria Faculty of Education, MERB is a bibliographic database of more than 31,000 resources in music and music education from 35 Canadian and international journals. It includes the Canadian Music Index and covers the period 1956-present.
Search QCAT by Subject to locate a listing of Canadian music periodicals held at Queen's. Ex.: Music-Canada-Periodicals
In the case of historical publications, we may have only a few issues or our holdings may be in microform. Click on CANADIAN MUSIC PERIODICALS, old and new for a current listing.
For general guidelines on searching indexes, see the section in the Introductory Guide re
The standard indexes to music journal literature are worth searching on Canadian topics.
Other Canadian-centred electronic database resources
BRITISH COLUMBIA SHEET MUSIC displays sheet music about British Columbia, featuring the province's music, social and local history.
CANADIAN BUSINESS & CURRENT AFFAIRS is searchable online at Queen's via the
Indexes & Databases menu on the Library's homepage. Recent articles are available in fulltext. Search also under Canadian NewsDisc for fulltext information from major Canadian newspapers.
CANADIAN MUSIC CENTRE (CMC) publishes "on demand" the music of ca. 400 Canadian composers. Access to their database of scores is available at this site.
- LIBRARY AND ARCHIVES CANADA has links to Research Tools and Finding Aids for the archival fonds of various Canadian composers, an electronic version of the Encyclopedia of Music in Canada (3rd ed., 2003), Women in Canadian Life and Society, Music and Literature , with biographical summaries of Emma Albani, Helen Creighton, La Bolduc (Mary Travers), Kathleen Parlow, Barbara Pentland and Ethel Stark and sample audio clips of their work, and Sheet Music from Canada's Past, a source of sheet music published in Canada before 1921, selected from their historical collection.
UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN MUSIC LIBRARY provides extensive links to internet resources, including some on Canadian music.
UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN ONTARIO MUSIC LIBRARY provides links to Canadian resources, as well as how to cite music resources in your essay.
Other Canadian links:
CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF MUSIC LIBRARIES which publishes the CAML Review, providing online reviews of Canadian music books and CDs.
- La Scena Musicale is a free monthly bilingual magazine published by La Scene musicale, a non-profit organization promoting Canada's classical music scene.
Bibliography : General
- Amtmann, Willy. MUSIC IN CANADA, 1600-1800. Cambridge, Ont. : Habitex Books, 1975. 320 p. (ML205 .A68)
- Amtmann, Willy. LA MUSIQUE AU QUEBEC, 1600-1875. Montreal : Editions de l'Homme, 1976. 420 p.(ML205 .A684 1976t)
- CANADIAN MUSIC : issues of hegemony and identity / ed. by Beverley Diamond and Robert Witmer. Toronto, Canadian Scholars Press, 1994. 615 p. (ML205 .C36 1994t)
- CANADIAN MUSICAL HERITAGE. Ottawa : Canadian Musical Heritage Society, 1983- [A series of historical Canadian MUSIC SCORES publicatons.] (M2.3 .C3 1983t)
- CELEBRATION : essays on aspects of Canadian music published in honour of the 25th anniversary of the Canadian Music Centre. Toronto : CMC, 1984. 144 p. (M205.1 .C44)
- Ford, Clifford. CANADA'S MUSIC : an historical survey. Agincourt, ON
: GLC Pub., 1982. 278 p. (ML205 .F67 1982)
- Kallmann, Helmut. A HISTORY OF MUSIC IN CANADA, 1534-1914. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1987. 317 p. (ML205 .K34 1987t)
- McGee, Timothy J. THE MUSIC OF CANADA. New York : W.W. Norton, 1985. 257 p. (ML205 .M37)
- MUSICAL CANADA : words and music honouring Helmut Kallman. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1988. 369 p. (ML205 .1 .M875 1988)
- Proctor, George A. CANADIAN MUSIC OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1980. 297 p. (ML205 .5 .P76 1980t)
- Schafer, R. Murray. ON CANADIAN MUSIC. Bancroft, Ont. : Arcana Editions, 1984. 105 p. (ML205.1 S3)
- SOCAN YEARBOOK. Don Mills, Ont. : Society of Composers, Authors and Music publishers of Canada, 1994- (ML27 .C3S635)
Bibliography : Topical
- Barbeau, Marius. REPERTOIRE DE LA CHANSON FOLKLORIQUE FRANCAISE AU CANADA. Ottawa : National Museum of Man, 1979-1987. 3 vols. (M1678 .B23R4 1979)
- Beckwith, John. MUSIC PAPERS : articles and talks by a Canadian composer, 1961-1994. Ottawa : Golden Dog Press, 1997. 256 p. (ML205.1 .B397 1997)
- CANADIAN MUSIC IN THE 1930s AND 1940s : proceedings of a conference held at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Nov. 1986 [as part of a week-long celebration of the International Year of Canadian Music / ed. by Beverley Cavanagh]. Toronto : Institute for Canadian Music, 1988. 45 leaves. (ML205.5 .C214 1988t)
- CANADIAN WOMEN MAKING MUSIC. Toronto : Green Dragon Press, 1992. 134 p. (ML82 .K58 1992)
- CanMus DOCUMENTS. Toronto : Institute for Canadian Music, 1987- [Partial contents: vol. 1. Sing out the glad news : hymn tunes in Canada -- vol. 2. Hello out there! Canada's new music in the world, 1950-85 -- vol. 3. Composer and orchestera : some Canadian works of the 1980s -- vol. 4. Three studies: College songbooks, Toronto Conservatory, Arraymusic -- vol. 5. Ethnomusicology in Canada -- vol. 6. The fifth stream : proceedings of the Festival-Conference held in Waterloo, Ontario, 4-7 May 1989.] (Library call numbers vary)
- Dawson, Ted. A TEACHER'S GUIDE TO CANADIAN MUSIC. Toronto : Canadian Music Centre, 1991-1992. 40 p. + 2 sound cassettes. (MT10 .D287 1992 )
- Elliott, Robin and Gordon E. Smith, eds. ISTVAN ANHALT : PATHWAYS AND MEMORY. Montreal ; Kingston : McGill-Queen's University Press, 2001. (ML410.A564 I88 2001t 1989t)
- ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CANADIAN ROCK, POP, AND FOLK MUSIC / by Rick Jackson. Kingston, Ont. : Quarry Press, 1994. 319 p. (Ref ML102 .P66 J13 1994t)
- ETHNOMUSICOLOGY IN CANADA : proceedings of the first Conference, Toronto, 1988. Toronto : Institute of Canadian Music, 1990. 413 p. (ML3797.7 .C664 1988)
- Fowke, Edith and Alan Mills. SINGING OUR HISTORY : Canada's story in song. Toronto : Doubleday, 1984. 249 p. (M1678 .F72C28 1984)
- Green, J. Paul and Nancy F. Vogan. MUSIC EDUCATION IN CANADA : an historical account. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1991. 534 p. (MT3 .C2G73 1991t)
- Hopkins, Karen. A CATALOGUE OF CANADIAN CLARINET MUSIC . Kingston, Ont., 1990. 62 p. (Ref ML128 .C58H66 1990t)
- Keillor, Elaine. JOHN WEINZWEIG AND HIS MUSIC : the radical romantic of Canada. Metuchen, N.J. : Scarecrow Press, 1994. 317 p. (ML410 .W4274K44 1994)
- Massey, Michael. CANADIAN REPERTOIRE MANUAL FOR YOUTH AND COMMUNITY ORCHESTRAS. Toronto : Association of Canadian Orchestras, 1996. 161 p. (Ref ML132 .O68 M37 1996t)
- MULTICULTURAL MUSIC EDUCATION: "The music means harmony" workshop / ed. by Timothy Rice and Patricia Shand. Toronto : Institute for Canadian Music, 1989. 55 p. (MT1 .M754 1989t)
- National Library of Canada. Music Division. DESCRIPTIVE CATALOGUE OF THE GLENN GOULD PAPERS / compiled by Ruth Pincoe. Ottawa, Ont. : NLC, 1992. 2 vols. (ML397 .G6G53 1992t)
- Nowry, Lawrence. MARIUS BARBEAU, man of mana : a biography. Toronto : NC Press, 1995. 448 p. (GN21 .B35N6 1995t in Special Collections)
- Our research in music education : a Festschrift for Dr. Allen Clingman / Brian A. Roberts, ed. St. John's Nfld. : Binder's Press, 1993. 214 p. A survey of research in Canada. (MT3 .C2O93 1993t)
- Shand, Patricia M. CANADIAN MUSIC : a selective guidelist for teachers. Toronto : Canadian Music Centre, 1978. 186 p. (Ref ML120 .C2S5)
- Shand, Patricia A. A GUIDE TO PUBLISHED CANADIAN VIOLIN MUSIC suitable for student performers. Toronto : Canadian Music Educators Association, 1993. 101 p. (Ref ML132 .V4S42 1993t)
- Smith, Gordon. ERNEST GAGNON, 1834-1915: musician and pioneer folksong scholar. Toronto : University of Toronto, 1989. 305 leaves. (ML423 .G23S64 1989t)
- TAKING A STAND : essays in honour of John Beckwith / ed. by Timothy J. McGee. Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 1995. 313 p. (ML205.1 .T35 1995t)
- Young, Gayle. THE SACKBUT BLUES : HUGH LECAINE, pioneer in electronic music. Ottawa : National Museum of Science and Technology, 1989. 274 p. (ML410 .L415Y6 1989t)
- Zuk, Ireneus. THE PIANO CONCERTO IN CANADA, 1900-1980 : a bibliographic survey. Baltimore, Md. : Peabody Institute, 1985. 429 p. (Ref ML128 .P3Z85 1985t)
- Return to the Queen's MUSIC Library WEB page.
- Top of this page
Last revised: 18 May 2004