English Language and Literature: History of Criticism
It is often useful to get a sense of the shifting reception of a literary work from its initial reviews through the centuries. Many resources exist to help you do this.
Queen's Library holds 118 volumes of the "Critical Heritage" series: for a complete listing, do a "Series/Uniform Title" search in QCAT for this series title. Individual volumes review criticism of authors as diverse as Byron, Gaskell, and Nabokov.
Literary Criticism Series
Provides immediate critical essays on a wide range of authors, usually giving a general overview of a writer's work or themes.
Choose the appropriate set depending on the year of the author's death. Each volume contains cumulative author, nationality and title indexes at the back, referring to the specific volume number and set in which to find the entry.
If author's death date is:
You should turn to:
|After Dec.31 1959
(or author is still living)
|1900 - 1959||Twentieth-Century Literary
|1400-1799||Literature Criticism from 1400 to
1800 (excluding Shakespeare)
Compact Shelving (non-circulating) PN86 .L53 1984
|Antiquity-1399||Classical and Medieval Literature
The following titles are a selection of bibliographies on criticism.
Dyson, A.E. English Poetry: Select
Bibliographical Guides (1971)
- Extensive selection of criticism up to 1970 on major English poets from Chaucer to Eliot.
Martinez, Nancy C. and Joseph G.R. Martinez. Guide to British Poetry Explication
4 vols. (1991-1995)
- Cites major interpretations of works by major poets. Each volume (v. 1. Old English, Medieval -- v. 2. Renaissance -- v. 3. Restoration-Romantic -- v. 4. Victorian-Contemporary) is arranged alphabetically by author and title.
Kuntz, Joseph Marshall and Nancy C. Martinez. Poetry Explication: A Checklist of Interpretation
since 1925 of British and American Poems Past and
REF Z2014.P7K8 1980
- A list of articles, published in books and journals from 1925-1977, that explains poems by major authors. Poem titles are arranged alphabetically beneath each author entry.
Alexander, Harriet Semmes. American
and British Poetry: A Guide to the Criticism, 1925-78
REF Z1231.P7A44 1984
Eichelberger, Clayton L. A Guide to
Critical Reviews of United States Fiction, 1870-1910
- A "preliminary" list of 20,000 critical notices of works of American fiction in two volumes.
Cassis, A.F. The Twentieth Century
Novel: An Annotated Bibliography of General Criticism
REF Z2014.F4 C35
McNutt, Dan F. The Eighteenth Century
Gothic Novel: An Annotated Bibliography of Criticism and Selected
Harner, James L. English Renaissance
Prose Fiction, 1500-1660: An Annotated Bibliography of
Trudeau, Lawrence J., ed. Drama
Criticism: Criticism of the Most Significant and Widely Studied
Dramatic Works from All the World's Literatures (1991-
- Excerpts of criticism on the most frequently studied playwrights of all time periods and nationalities. Holdings: vol. 1 only.
Stein, Rita. Major Modern
REF PN1861.M27 1984
- Excerpts of criticism on Western playwrights of international renown from the late 19th and 20th centuries.
Last Updated: 25 September 2014