Reading Room Guidelines
Our Special Collections are available to all interested researchers, whether or not they are affiliated with Queen's University. The materials are for use only in the W.D. Jordan Rare Books and Special Collections Reading Room, under the supervision of our staff and subject to the following conditions:
- Researchers must provide identification, upon request.
- Request slips must be completed for each item required. Our staff will then retrieve the requested material from the Library's closed, environmentally-controlled stacks.
- Special Collections users will be asked to place all backpacks, briefcases, coats, jackets, etc. in lockers for the duration of their stay. Locker keys must be returned by closing time of the reading room. A fee of $10 will be charged if the locker key is lost. We are not responsible for the loss of personal materials.
- No food or beverages are permitted in the Reading Room.
- Special collections material must be handled with great care to prevent damage and deterioration of any kind.
- Please request assistance if you are having trouble using material: Books must not be removed from cradles or other supports; snake weights are provided to hold pages in place; pressure must not be placed on spines or folds to make items lie flat.
- Pencils and laptop computers may be used for taking notes; tracing or writing on library materials is forbidden. Pencils and acid free book marks are available. Consultation tables are wired for laptop use (note that data connections are restricted to members of the Queen's community).
- White gloves must be worn when handling photographs or certain fabrics. Gloves should not be worn when handling books or paper.
- Photographs for personal research purposes may be taken of library materials used in the Reading Room. Please consult our Access & Reproduction guidelines for more on photographing materials.