Teaching & Learning Support
We invite you to meet your Subject Librarian and discuss how the library can support your teaching, learning and research needs. Liaison Librarians can work with you to identify, purchase and collate resources and to provide support for the development of students’ research skills. Examples of this support are outlined here.
We support development of research skills in undergraduate, graduate, and professional courses by:
- Creating learning objects, tutorials, and guides based on information literacy and research skill needs.
- Providing tailored research skill class instruction in person and/or online based on course assignments and learning outcomes.
- Offering research consultations for faculty, graduate students and undergraduates.
- Contributing to the assessment of research skills through rubrics, (e.g. Journal Literature Search Strategy Rubric), quizzes, or assignments.
We make teaching resources available by:
- Providing course materials through our Course Reserves service, scanning print books and journal articles that meet the requirements listed in the fair dealing policy, creating and providing links to electronic library resources, and acquiring and processing copyright permissions via the Copyright Advisory Office.
- Assisting you in adapting and/or building your own Open Education Resources tailored to the needs of your students.
- Assisting with creating accessible course materials (videos, PowerPoints, PDFs, etc.) for students with disabilities.
- Identifying and purchasing resources including identifying readings, primary and archival sources, grey literature, government documents, statistics, multimedia, and video-streaming.
- Providing Research by Subject and Research by Course information. Guides include recommended databases, reference materials, multimedia (images, photographs, theatre performances, music, audio, video-streaming), government documents, data sets including geospatial data and maps, and open access materials
- Providing online tutorials (e.g. Sociology 122 Library Research Tutorial, Engineering Design and Practice)
- Providing guides to Types of Information