Reciprocal Borrowing Agreements: Direct Borrowing from Non-Queen's Libraries

Borrowing from University Libraries in Ontario (non-Omni Libraries)

Starting August 3, 2021, patrons from Collaborative Futures' schools will only need their staff or student cards from their home institution to regular loan materials from each other.  The universities who are part of Collaborative Futures are: Algoma, Brock, Carleton, Guelph, Lakehead, Laurentian, Nipissing,Ontario Tech (UOIT), Ottawa, Queen's, Trent, Waterloo, Western, Wilfrid Laurier, Windsor, and York. 

All Queen's students and faculty can apply for borrowing privileges at Ontario universities* under the terms of the "Inter University Borrowing Program" (IUBP) sponsored by the Ontario Council of University Libraries (OCUL). The one exception is the University of Toronto, which restricts the inter-university borrowing privilege to faculty and graduate students only and charges a fee for library privileges. 

An "OCUL" card may be required by some Ontario university libraries, to verify that the student or faculty member is entitled to the IUBP privileges. Queen's students and faculty can obtain an OCUL card, during regular business hours, at the Information desk in Stauffer Library. 

Students who are registered at other Ontario universities may apply for a Queen's library card by filling in an application form and by presenting a valid student card from their home university along with another piece of personal identification. Similarly, faculty employed at other Ontario universities may apply for a Queen's library card by presenting a valid staff card from their home university along with another piece of personal identification. (Note: The one exception is RMC students and faculty, who do not need to fill in an IUBP application form to borrow from a Queen's library as long as their RMC student or staff card has an RMC barcode on it.) 

*Universities participating in the IUBP program include: McMaster, Ontario College of Art & Design,  Royal Military College, Ryerson, and (subject to the limitations mentioned above) the University of Toronto. 

Please fill out the IUBP Online Application Form

Borrowing from University Libraries in Quebec 

The reciprocal borrower agreement between Ontario and Quebec university libraries is restricted to faculty, undergraduate and graduate students only. Because presenting personal ID and a "OCUL" card will be required by the Quebec university, be sure to apply at the Stauffer Library Information desk during regular business hours for the "OCUL" card in advance of your trip to Quebec. 

Borrowing from University Libraries elsewhere in Canada

As of June 2002, reciprocal borrowing agreements are in place among all four Canadian regional academic library consortia. By means of this agreement, in-person borrowing privileges have been extended to students, faculty and staff from -- and at -- most Canadian university libraries from coast to coast. All that is required for borrowing at a signatory library is a valid Queen's University student or staff card, and a valid participating regional consortia card such as the Ontario IUBP card. 

In advance of making your trip to another Canadian university, be sure to check at the Stauffer Library Information desk, during regular business hours, for specific details about the other library's reciprocal borrowing requirements. It is important, also, to check the destination library's own loan policies, as borrowers are governed by the regulations of the lending library. In addition, borrowers are expected to return items to the lending site when this site is not located in Ontario or Quebec. 

Students, faculty and staff from other signatory Canadian university libraries may, upon presentation of their institutional or consortia ID, apply for borrower privileges at Queen's University Library. 

Participating Canadian Libraries & Exceptions

Borrowing from University Libraries in the United States

Queen's University Library (along with many other North American academic research libraries) is a member of the OCLC Consortium, which offers a reciprocal borrowing program, for faculty only, among the organization's member libraries. 

Faculty who wish to make use of this service must, in advance of their trip to the U.S., apply at the Stauffer Library Information desk during regular business hours. To view active OCLC member libraries visit the Directory of OCLC Members page at

Ask Us

Ask Us

For help locating resources, using the library, or to request a research consultation, try our Ask Us service.

ask us more